Quantcast

America: Addicted to War

Stephen Lendman

It's been that way from inception. America's history reflects violence. It's blood-drenched. It glorifies war. It does so in the name of peace.

America believes war is peace. It's part of the national culture. Eventually it's self-destructive. Today's super-weapons make the unthinkable possible.

Hyman Rickover knew.  He knew decades ago. He founded America's nuclear navy. In 1982, he told Congress:

"I do not believe that nuclear power is worth it if it creates radiation." Then you might ask me why do I have nuclear powered ships?"

"That is a necessary evil. I would sink them all. I am not proud of the part I played in it. I did it because it was necessary for the safety of this country."

That's why I am such a great exponent of stopping this whole nonsense of war. Unfortunately limits - attempts to limit war have always failed."

"The lesson of history is when a war starts every nation will ultimately use whatever weapon it has available."

"Every time you produce radiation, you produce something that has a certain half-life, in some cases for billions of years."

"I think the human race is going to wreck itself, and it is important that we get control of this horrible force and try to eliminate it."

In his Der Ring des Nibelungen operas (the Ring), Richard Wagner portrayed his apocalyptic version. He did so musically. Gotterdammerung (Twilight of the Gods) prophesied the end of the world.

Einstein feared it. He didn't know what WW III weapons would be used. He said "World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

Bertrand Russell was an Einstein contemporary. He knew. He warned. No one listened. He asked:

"Shall we put an end to the human race, or shall mankind renounce war." It's the only way to live in peace. The alternative is annihilation.

The choice is clear. The wrong one assures disaster. America's heading humanity toward it. A slow-motion train wreck looms. The big one. There's no second chance. There's no coming back.

Historian Harry Elmer Barnes (1889 - 1968) once said:

"If trends continue as they have during the last fifteen years, we shall soon reach this point of no return, and can only anticipate interminable wars, disguised as noble gestures for peace."

Historian Arnold Toynbee worried about WW III. Only pigmies in remote jungles, apes and ants might be left to carry on "the cultural traditions of mankind," he said.

According to HG Wells:

"If we don't end war, war will end us."

Mushroom shaped cloud finality threatens humanity. Enough of them cause nuclear winter. They block out sun for years. Doing so ends life on earth. It's possible. It's chilling. It's not science fiction. It's real. It bears repeating. There's no coming back.

America wages permanent wars. It does so against enemies it creates. During the Cold War, Active Defense and AirLand Battle prepared strategies for how America would fight.

Soviet Russia was targeted. Today's it's modern day Russia. It's China. AirSea Battle targets both countries. More on that below.

In 1998, US Space Command: Vision for 2020 discussed America's grand strategy.

In 2000, DOD Joint Vision 2020 called for "full spectrum dominance" over all land, surface and sub-surface sea, air, space, electromagnetic spectrum and information systems.

It did so with enough overwhelming power to fight and win global wars against any adversary. Nuclear and other mass destruction weapons would be used preemptively.

In 1961, General Curtis LeMay believed nuclear war with Soviet Russia was inevitable. He wanted thousands of missiles launched preemptively.

He called retaliation against major US cities a small price to pay.
At the same time, General Lyman Lemnitzer urged a surprise nuclear attack strategy.

Jack Kennedy expressed disgust. He walked out of a National Security Council meeting. He wanted none of it. He told Secretary of State Dean Rusk: "And we call ourselves the human race."

Secretary of Defense McNamara categorically rejected LeMay and Lemnitzer. He should have fired them on the spot. Other extremists then and later urged the same lunacy.

Crazies have great influence today. Today's weapons make earlier ones look like toys. Armageddon could happen.

Read more: http://sjlendman.blogspot.com/2013/08/america-addicted-to-war.html